Lap band to RNY or DS...requirements

bubbles1
on 5/20/10 12:49 pm - Surprise, AZ
I have an appointment with Dr. Juarez in AZ on June 1st to discuss a revision. He did my lapband in 2003...I lost 40 lbs originally and gained it all back and I am right back where I started. I am also having pain in the port and stomach area and reflux...that is what prompted me to look into the revision...I want the band out either way. What I really want to know is do you think I will have to go thru all stuff again for approval. My insurance BCBS of AZ says I only need to have one  thing on a of a list of problems to get approved for the surgery it does not state any other requiements...your thoughts?
Debbie M.
on 5/21/10 3:42 am
Hi Bubbles,

I'm not sure what you mean by "I only need to have one thing on a of a list of problems".  Your policy should be crystal clear about what's required, have you requested a copy of your policy so you can take a look at it. 

If you're going to have a DS are you wiling to go out of state, to my knowledge there aren't any surgeons in AZ that perform a DS.  You might want to check out www.dsfacts.com.
How much weight do you have to lose?

Debbie

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

LadyVine
on 5/22/10 3:22 am - Cedar Hill, TX
RNY on 07/12/10 with
Hi, I was having the same issues with the band plus my sleep apnea was coming back. Well every Ins is different I am with BCBS TX and there was no requirements for revision. All they could tell me is yes its covered. I started with a new doctor starting her practice, bad idea on my part. Any how they submitted my paper work all wrong and BCBS only wanted to remove the band not even the port. BCBS denied me for RNY telling me I have to start the WLS process all over. I changed to a more experienced Dr and staff who said no, I do not have to start the process over, everything is documented from the first time. I did have to request medical records from all Dr. I had seen to proved proof of band failure so the Dr office could write up a new letter to BCBS. Other than that they took care of everything removed my band (all pieces) on 4-12 and I just found out I am approved for RNY. I guess it busy season with school letting out I have to wait til July ;(.

Most Active